October Home Maintenance Checklist
Man! We are busy, as a society! I often feel like I don’t have time to take a breath and then I look at friends of mine and think, “seriously, where do they find the time to____?”. More often than not, the blank in that question is filled in with some sort of deep cleaning or home maintenance activity. But let’s be honest with one another, to be a good homeowner and to save us money and headaches in the future we should be performing preventative maintenance on our homes. When I used to work in hotels, we made sure that all of the guestrooms received preventative maintenance on a consistent basis to catch maintenance issues before they happened. If hotels do that for the complete strangers that stay with them, shouldn’t we for our families?
There are several suggested maintenance calendars out there but the key is once you find one stick with it so you don’t end up repeating the same one or missing something. On our blog, we will share the monthly recommended maintenance activities, the first week of each month. Here are the items to check off for October:
- Have your chimney inspected and cleaned
- Test Carbon Monoxide and Smoke Detectors
- Clean your garbage disposal
- Test your sump pump
- Cover or Store away your outdoor furniture (if your climate is cooling and it won’t be used)
- Check your water softner
- Turn off and flush your outdoor water faucets
- Run water and flush toilets in unused spaces
- Change Furnace Filters
- Rake Leaves and Debris from Gutters and Downspouts.