Who doesn’t love a vaulted ceiling? Something about it makes any room appear infinitely bigger, and thus, more appealing. But how can you create the same effect without actually having a super high ceiling…or a large room? Follow these 5 simple tips to make any room look bigger.
- Curtains – NEVER hang your curtain rods at the top of your window frame (unless you already have ridiculously high ceilings…). Doing this immediately makes your wall height, and windows shorter.
- Lighting – Leave around 30 inches of space between your table top and your hanging light fixture – any less will make the room look smaller, and any more will make the lighting affect less dramatic.
- Pictures – Like curtains, the placement of your picture frames, namely the height from the floor, makes a big impact on the appearance of your wall height. Try to hang pictures 57 inches from the floor.
- Spacing – Space your furniture out and place large pieces against the walls of the room – the closer your furniture resembles a giant square or rectangle, the larger your room will appear.
- Paint – While darker colors may be appealing, they can actually make rooms look a lot smaller. Try selecting a lighter hue, and if you really want to incorporate a darker color, do it with a statement wall.