CO Proofing

By Morgan Saylor

As we transition into cooler temps during fall, new homeowners may wonder if they’re at an increased safety risk with carbon monoxide.If you have gas heat or fuel emitting appliances in your home, you are at risk for carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning. Also called the quiet killer, carbon monoxide is a colorless, odorless gas that can leak into your home if your furnaces, stoves, water heaters, grills, fireplaces, and cars, aren’t maintained or functioning properly.

According to, carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms can look like the flu, with nausea, headaches, dizziness, weakness, chest pain, and vomiting. If a leak were to occur while people were sleeping, they could die before experiencing any symptoms.

Margaret Heidenry writes of these ways to prevent CO poisoning:

Install CO alarms – Because it’s odorless and colorless, a CO alarm is the only way to detect it.

Be aware of what you’re using indoors – Don’t use generators, charcoal grills, camp stoves, or appliances that burn gas in a confined, indoor area – this includes your garage.

Stove safety – Run an exhaust fan while cooking, and open a door or window to outside to allow air circulation.

Winter vigilance – According to’s article, 41% of CO exposures happen during the winter months. Ask a technician to inspect your fuel-burning appliance to make sure they’re functioning properly and minimize your risk of CO leaks.

Garage danger – Don’t ever leave a car running in a garage, with or without the garage door open.


Tags: Home, safety, Home Prep, Fall Prep, prepping, carbon monoxide