Documents Needed for a Mortgage
I’m sure you can imagine that when it comes to buying a home there is a lot involved—after all a home is likely the biggest purchase of your life. You’ve found that house, you’ve been prequalified by your lender and everything is in motion so all you have to do is sit back and let it happen, right? Wrong, you are still very much involved in the process.
Now the mortgage company begins processing your file and they will need a list of items from you. I’ve included some of the documents that you may be asked for below. I found it was easier to compile these items over a couple of days instead of sitting down to do it all at once—it was less overwhelming for me! I hope that our check list benefits you in the same manner.
- Color Copy of Driver’s License
- Color Copy of Social Security Card
- Copies of most recent paycheck stubs, over the last 30 days
- Retirement Pay Documents
- Copies of Bank Statements detailing the last 60 days of activity
- Proof of funds to close (proof that you have the money to cover the down payment and closing costs)
- Copies of all 1099s and W-2s from the past 2 years, sometimes you may be required to have a 3rd year’s copy.
- Copies of federal tax returns with all schedules for the previous 2 years
- Any addresses for the last two years
- Copy of previous year’s property tax bill and homeowner’s insurance policy
- Agent name and contact information for homeowner’s insurance company
- Information on all outstanding loans and credit cards- be prepared to explain these debts
- Names and account numbers of creditors
- All monthly payments and account balances
Other information if applicable:
- Copy of divorce decree and property settlement agreement
- Child support documents
- Copy of bankruptcy and final discharge documents
- Judgment or lien releases
You can print off a check list version of the documents above here: http://info.smcapproved.com/document-checklist
Still feeling unsure about the process or have some questions? That’s why we are here! Give us, at Stockton Mortgage Corporation, a call! With our 99% customer satisfaction rating you can count on us to guide you in the right direction! Stockton Mortgage Corporation 1-888-914-2276