Need an inexpensive solution to ugly carpet? The way has been paved by blogger Mel via melodyriches.blogspot.com on how to dye carpet using Rit Dye with this do-it-yourself-er. She made this drab, disgustingly pink carpet into a rich red!
Before getting started, here’s what you should know – Mel has consulted a carpet expert who gave this very important advice: only dye within same color family, and you can only go darker. A different color just sits on top of the other color and looks like a stain.
This theory has been tried and true, as seen here:
Photo via Melody Riches.
For dying carpet, here’s what you’ll need:
- Carpet cleaner
- Rit Dye
- Hot water
- Painters Tape
According to Mel, here's how to get the job done:
- Clean carpets well, spot treating.
- Apply painters tape to baseboards to prevent staining from dye.
- Prepare your dye solutions. Mel used Rit liquid dye in Scarlet; 4 ounces Rit Dye, 12 cups of hot water, 1 cup of vinegar. Pour your solution into the bladder of a carpet cleaner
- Using the hand tool of the carpet cleaner, apply the dye in 2’ lengths furthest from the door and continue until you’ve completed the whole room.
- Covering your feet in plastic, suck up excess water using the suction. Use fans for drying
Photo via Melody Riches
For more on Mel’s awesome tutorial, check out her blog here.